Each year, the National Precast Concrete Association provides scholarships to teams participating in the annual American Society of Civil Engineers Concrete Canoe Competition. These scholarships help teams offset the costs associated with their canoe construction and related travel costs.
Ten teams have been selected from 15 applicants to receive a $500 scholarship that can be used for any competition-related expenses. The teams awarded scholarships in 2022 include:
- Louisiana Tech University — Ruston, La.
- McNeese State University — Lake Charles, La.
- Colorado School of Mines — Golden, Colo.
- Lipscomb University — Nashville, Tenn.
- New Mexico State University — Las Cruces, N.M.
- University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown — Johnstown, Pa.
- Bradley University — Peoria, Ill.
- California Polytechnic State University — San Luis Obispo, Calif.
- Northeastern University — Boston, Mass.
- NYU Tandon — Brooklyn, N.Y.
NPCA members are encouraged to contact schools in their area and support regional concrete canoe competitions. It is a great way to introduce precast concrete to students and build connections with the next generation of engineers.