Coronavirus illustration created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Businesses across the country and globe are facing unprecedented challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic. With the situation evolving on a daily and sometimes hourly basis, it can be difficult to keep track of relevant tools and information. Below are key resources for the precast concrete industry to keep you up-to-date and prepared.
NPCA remains committed to helping our members and the industry. As such, we joined several other groups in urging federal officials to issue guidance on defining “essential infrastructure” and “essential businesses and services” to include our industry. You can view the letter here.
With many states shutting down portions of the economy, we have drafted a sample letter you can send to your state officials to urge them to keep construction open as an essential industry.
You Can Help!
NPCA has created two free webinars for members relating to key business functions during the COVID-19 pandemic. The first is about business continuity and the second covers human resources, safety and IT considerations.
News About Construction and COVID-19
We have published a blog post aimed at helping business leaders during this challenging time. The page categorizes relevant news stories we’ve tracked by date.
Many states have deemed construction as an essential business. Engineering News-Record (ENR) has a table with what actions states have taken and whether construction is listed as an essential industry.
Architect Magazine has an interactive map along with state list showing all available information regarding construction as an essential business. The information is updated regularly.
Construction Dive is mapping the impact of COVID-19 on U.S. construction, including state and project shutdowns and delays.
Stateside has issued a report that includes both state actions and local community actions as it relates to COVID-19.
The National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) has compiled a list of state legislation to support state action related to COVID-19.
MultiState has compiled a report tracking what steps states are taking and local closures.
NPCA Member Survey on Impact of COVID-19
The results of a survey conducted by Industry Insights the week of March 16 on the impact of COVID-19 on NPCA members have been compiled and an executive summary is now available. Industry Insights will conduct a follow-up survey in the coming weeks to gauge any changes.
U.S. government’s official page regarding COVID-19.
Nucleus Analytics COVID-19 Data Analytics Dashboard.
Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) guidance on essential critical infrastructure workforce.
Cement Association of Canada put together an infographic on best practices for cement and concrete plants.
American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) has compiled several resources for transportation and construction businesses.
U.S. Small Business Administration COVID-19 resources
Department of Labor Resources
Guidance explaining paid sick leave and expanded family medical leave under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.
Posters for your workplace.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce summary of the The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) COVID-19 page.
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) issued guidance on the Families First Coronavirus Response Act and how it relates to employees taking leave.
- Some states are limiting travel only for necessary and essential functions and some members have created letters for their workers to carry to show their travel is essential. Other members have reported requests to provide a certification showing they are deemed a “Critical Infrastructure Industry” as defined by the CISA memorandum above.
- NPCA professional staff members are not able to provide legal counsel, but can offer suggestions. Please contact NPCA Vice President of Communication and Public Affairs Kirk Stelsel with any questions.
Recommendations and Best Practices
This information is for reference only, is not intended for legal or official guidance. Please note that NPCA routinely will post this information in the coming days and weeks, so be sure to check back often.
National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) Policy Action Plan
Department of Health & Human Services Centers (HHS) Business Pandemic Checklist
Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers from the CDC
Best Practices for Your Precast Plant
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Do not share PPE.
- Ensure used PPE is disposed of properly.
- Sanitize reusable PPE per manufacturer’s recommendation prior to each use.
- Utilize disposable gloves where appropriate; instruct workers to wash hands after removing gloves.
- Tools, Supplies, Equipment
- Do not share hand tools (shovels, floats, loots, hand saws, etc.)
- Disinfect reusable supplies before and after use.
- Operators use the same piece of equipment all day.
- Clean surfaces of construction equipment (pavers, end loader, rollers, cranes, etc.) and service/fleet vehicles including steering wheel, gear shift, instrument panels, etc. at beginning and end of shifts. Use aerosol sanitizers inside closed cabs.
- Documentation/Weight Tickets
- If allowed, consider submitting required documentation (inspections, certifications, invoices, prevailing wage reports, etc.) electronically.
- For documents requiring paper copies or wet signatures, consider drop boxes or other non-contact means to transfer paperwork between Contractor and Owner.
- Use e-ticketing for truck weight tickets.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
If you have or come across any best practices you’d like to share, please contact Vice President of Communication and Public Affairs Kirk Stelsel or comment on the discussions thread we have started on our LinkedIn page.