Teams from 10 universities across North America were awarded scholarships to help offset the costs of participating in the American Society of Civil Engineers Concrete Canoe National Competition.
The contest, which is sponsored by the NPCA Foundation, provides students with an opportunity to gain hands-on practical experience while testing their skills with concrete mix designs and project management skills. Known as the “America’s Cup of Civil Engineering,” the competition began in 1988 and combines engineering excellence, hydrodynamic design and racing technique.
Winners of the scholarships, funded by the NPCA, include:
- Concrete Canoe Team at Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tenn.
- Tiger Engineering at Tennessee State University in Nashville, Tenn.
- Star Line Crew at Colorado School of Mines in Golden, Colo.
- ASCE Concrete Canoe Team at The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown in Johnstown, Pa.
- UT Tyler Concrete Canoe at the University of Texas at Tyler in Tyler, Texas
- Umass Lowell Concrete Canoe Team at the University of Massachusetts Lowell in Lowell, Mass.
- New York University – Tandon at New York University Tandon School of Engineering in Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Charlotte ASCE Concrete Canoe at University of North Carolina at Charlotte in Charlotte, N.C.
- Northeastern Concrete Canoe at Northeastern University in Boston
- Rams at Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM) in Monterrey, N.L., Mexico