NPCA technical staff attended the 2021 AASHTO Committee on Bridges and Structures (COBS) Annual Meeting on July 12-16. The meeting was held virtually this year.
According to the strategic plan, AASHTO’s Committee on Bridges and Structures seeks to accomplish the following goals:
- Extend bridge service life
- Assess bridge condition
- Maintain and enhance a knowledgeable workforce
- Maintain and enhance the AASHTO specifications
- Accelerated bridge delivery and construction
- Optimize structural systems
- Model and manage information intelligently
- Contribute to national policy
NPCA’s Director of Codes and Standards Eric Carleton, P.E., attended the virtual meeting this year. Carleton provided a list of AASHTO COBS technical committees that are of interest to the precast industry:
- T-5 Loads and Distribution
- T-10 Concrete Design
- T-13 Culverts
- T-15 Substructures and Retaining Walls
NPCA encourages membership involvement in AASHTO’s Committee on Bridges and Structures where applicable. Next year’s annual meeting, “The City of Bridges,” will be held in Pittsburgh, Pa., from June 23-25, 2022. More information can be found at: https://bridges.transportation.org/.
Contact Eric Carleton with any questions or needs for additional information.
Leave a Reply