The NPCA Quality Control Manual for Precast Concrete Plants serves as the guidance document for the association’s plant certification program. As a management tool and technical resource for quality production and manufacturing practices, the manual is under continuous scrutiny to ensure it remains current with advances in technology.
Each year, the NPCA Quality Assurance Committee reviews the content of the NPCA QC Manual with the goal of increasing clarity and making needed improvements. For the 14th Edition of the manual, the QA Committee made three significant and a few minor changes that members and specifiers are asked to review during a 60-day comment period. The 60-day comment period for the 14th Edition of the NPCA QC Manual opens Nov. 1, 2018, and ends Dec. 31, 2018.
Over the past five years, the QA Committee has received concerns that a large number of plants are obtaining perfect scores. To address this, the QA Committee analyzed historical scoring data and voted to reduce the maximum possible plant score received to 92%. The committee also added a new Continuous Improvement section to the QC Manual that provides plants an opportunity to score above 92% by participating in continuous improvement activities.
The QA Committee also voted to assess a scoring penalty of 0.25% for each repeat deficiency from the plant’s previous audit. This action holds certified plants accountable for addressing each deficiency to prevent recurrence.
The QA Committee also voted and approved the following section changes to the QC Manual:
- 1.1.4 Plant Requirements was changed to Section 1.1.5.
- 1.1.4 is now a new section titled Continuous Improvement
- 4.2.4 Fabrication and Positioning of Blockouts – clarified language
- 4.2.5 Plant Requirements – clarified language
- 18.104.22.168 Conventional and/or Dry-Cast Concrete – clarified language
- 6.5.1 Structural Proof-of-Design – added commentary language to the requirement
- 6.6.1 Structural Proof-of-Design – added commentary language to the requirement
- Plant Terms and Conditions – rewritten to include specifics for the Optional Product Listing for Water and Wastewater Tanks and miscellaneous editorial changes
- Plant Terms and Conditions – added section 2.5 Continuous Improvement
These changes ensure the highest quality manufacturing processes from NPCA certified plants and provide assurance to customers regarding quality. NPCA certified plants are required to review their plant-specific manuals and processes annually and complete a review of all of the critical sections that apply to the products manufactured.
For a complete copy of the addendum and to participate in the 60-day comment period, visit precast.org/qcmanual.