There is no better way to learn the properties, capabilities and versatility of precast concrete than to actually work with it, which is why the National Precast Concrete Association awards scholarships to teams participating in the American Society of Civil Engineers Concrete Canoe Competition. The purpose of the scholarship is to help teams offset the costs associated with their canoe construction and related travel costs to the competitions.
The scholarship information is sent to more than 80 schools that have recently competed in the competition and questions can be sent to NPCA’s Andi Pierce. In addition, NPCA members are encouraged to connect with local students and professors to establish themselves as partners. It can be a springboard sharing information about precast, teaching or hosting students for a plant tour.
Teams must submit their completed applications by Sept. 30, 2021 via email to [email protected] or by mail. NPCA will announce scholarship winners by Nov. 19, 2021.
Congratulations to NPCA’s 2020 Concrete Canoe Scholarship Recipients!
Each academic year, NPCA offers a $500 scholarship opportunity to teams participating in ASCE’s Concrete Canoe 2020 National Competition. The purpose of the scholarship is to help teams offset the costs associated with their canoe construction and related travel costs to the competitions.
We would like to congratulate the recipients of our 2020 Concrete Canoe Scholarship:
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM) – Team RAMS
- University of Notre Dame – Team Kanute Rockne
- Purdue University – Team Petal to the Metal
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale – Team SUI-C Concrete Canoe
- Louisiana State University – Team Let the Good Times Reaux
- University of Texas at Tyler – Team UT Tyler Concrete Canoe
- University of Florida – Team UF Concrete Canoe
- University of Massachusetts Lowell – Team UMASS Lowell Concrete Canoe
- University of Minnesota Twin Cities – Team ASCE Concrete Canoe
- University of New Orleans – Team Tunasub
Best of luck to all concrete canoe teams participating in this year’s national competition!
If you want to know what an impact these scholarships make, watch the video recap of the 2018 National Concrete Canoe Competition held at San Diego State University.