The NPCA Quality Control Manual for Precast Concrete Plants serves as the guidance document for the association’s plant certification program. As a management tool and a technical resource for quality production practices, the manual is under continuous scrutiny to ensure that it remains current with advances in technology.
Each year, the NPCA Quality Assurance Committee reviews the content of the NPCA QC Manual with a goal of increasing clarity and making improvements. For the 13th Edition of the manual, the QA Committee made several minor changes that NPCA members and specifiers are asked to review during a 60-day open comment period. All comments will be considered by the QA Committee before the manual is updated. The 60-day comment period for the 13th Edition of the NPCA QC Manual opens Nov. 1, 2017, and ends Dec. 31, 2017. Here is a summary of changes and clarifications:
The following sections of the manual have changed:
- 2.1.2 Aggregates – This section has been rewritten.
- 18.104.22.168 Dry-Cast / Zero Slump Concrete – This is a new section of the manual.
- 5.3 Concrete Testing – Language has been added in each subsection.
- 6.2 Concrete Pipe – This entire section has been rewritten and divided into categories for stormwater concrete pipe and sanitary concrete pipe.
- 6.4.1 Box Culvert Absorption Testing – This section is no longer a critical section.
- Appendix A – The ASTM section has been updated.
These changes ensure the highest quality manufacturing processes from NPCA certified plants and provide assurance to customers regarding quality. NPCA certified plants should review their plant-specific manuals and processes annually and conduct a complete review of all of the critical sections that apply to the products manufactured.
For a complete copy of the addendum that includes the sections mentioned above, visit precast.org/qcmanual.
If you have any questions, contact Phil Cutler, P.E., NPCA’s director of quality assurance programs.