ASTM Committee C27 Chairman’s Report
By Dean A. Frank
Frank was formerly NPCA’s Director of Industry Standards and ASTM Committee C27 Chairman.
As the new chairman of ASTM Committee C27 on Precast Concrete Products, I intend to use this column to highlight some of the projects that have recently been completed or are in progress now. However, before I do this, I believe that it is necessary to provide some background on the committee itself.
Committee C27’s scope is the formulation of test methods, specifications, definitions, recommended practices and the promotion of knowledge relating to precast concrete products exclusive of concrete pipe, manholes and culverts. The primary areas of interest include utility structures, minor architectural and structural products, agricultural products, water and wastewater treatment structures, and other special products.
ASTM Committee C27 is divided into seven subcommittees:
- C27.10 Utility Structures
- C27.20 Architectural and Structural Products
- C27.30 Water and Wastewater Containers
- C27.40 Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete Made by the Spray-Up Process
- C27.50 Terminology
- C27.60 Precast Autoclaved Aerated Concrete
- C27.90 Executive
The current C27 Committee officer roster is:
- Chairman: Dean Frank, National Precast Concrete Association
- Vice-Chairman: Gary K. Munkelt, Gary K. Munkelt and Associates
- Recording Secretary: Jeffrey L. Augustine, Lindsay Co.
- Membership Secretary: Howard Wingert, Concrete Sealants Inc.
There are many exciting things taking place in the committee, such as the ongoing development of burial vault specifications, the recent development of a new grease interceptor specification and preparations for a workshop on on-site wastewater specifications that will take place in conjunction with the First International Conference on Decentralized Systems and Applications, sponsored by the National Onsite Wastewater Recycling Association (NOWRA). These items and much more will be reported on in this column in the future.
For more information on ASTM Committee C27 on Precast Concrete Products, please contact ASTM International at (610) 832-9585.